World-wide Content Distribution Platform
The SPT Networks Platform powers over 100 websites, second screen mobile applications, subscription video-on-demand services, and authenticated viewing experiences worldwide
The Sony Pictures Television Networks Digital team is the technical hub that provides tools for SPT's worldwide portfolio of International TV networks. In 2011 SPTN Digital was supporting 3 different CMS platforms powering over 75+ websites. The platforms were out of date visually and inflexible for regional teams to use creatively. The CMS had a high learning curve and was being used by managers that had little to no experience with web development. The backend infrastructure was not adequate to serve the needs of the business, and the inefficiency of supporting 3 codebases was overwhelming the Operations team.
The platform supports over 139 Channel Feeds, 159 Countries, 22 Languages, and 840 Million Households (2012)
Over the course of 18 months the SPTN Digital team reconstructed the platform into one unified codebase and began worldwide rollout. Every major component of the platform was replaced and modernized. This included video hosting, analytics, SEO, cloud servers, CDN, registration, social integration, syndication, Ad server, schedule feeds, a full redesign, and more.
The architecture is flexible enough to service different languages, cultures, brands, business models, and resource capabilities
The updated platform is state of the art and built on a robust framework with Drupal at its core. The architecture is flexible enough to service different languages, cultures, brands, business models, and resource capabilities. Improvements to the CMS make it easier to use, enabling regional managers to concentrate on content creation instead of CMS management and has taken a huge load off of the serviceable tickets in the Operations queue.
The platform currently supports over 100 websites, second screen mobile applications, subscription video-on-demand services, and authenticated viewing experiences and continues to expand.
- Positioned business for future business opportunities
- Extended presence to mobile and tablet devices
- Content syndication enabled
- Architecture supports every channel brand
- Operational efficiency improved
- Reduced operational and creative costs
- Increased ease of use for regional managers
- Increased time on site, page, and video views
- Increased Ad Impressions and promotional opportunities
- One of the largest Drupal multi-site installs in the world
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Executive Director Product Development / Program Manager
- Platform & Product Strategy
- Creative Direction
- Information Architecture
- Project Management
- Brand Management
- Regional Training
- Rollout Schedule and Pipeline Management
- Content Creation and Integration